Friday, January 16, 2009

The Washington Redskins

You know, I've been a fan of the 'Skins since the Gary Clark days (proof of this is below). I've been a fan through thick and (especially thin), but lately, it seems that the team really just sucks! I can't even begin to tell you all the times they had games within their grasp and they didn't finish and they let the game get away from them. All the times they would mount a comeback but then, an errant pass was intercepted to ice the game.

Exhibit A:



The definition of a true Skins fan. Nobody can tell me I'm not a real fan! I bled maroon and gold even at 3-4 years old!

It seems like every time I would tune in and they were doing well, I would jinx them and then they'd go right in the crapper (again). Hell, when I was watching and they were doing well, the announcers would "backwards jinx" the 'Skins by saying something like "Jason Campbell hasn't thrown an interception in the first 9 games so far", and then on the very next play, "picked off!"; of course then I'd be like "damn!"

This one time when I was still in elementary school, I got so fed up with them losing to the Giants, I just threw up my hands and left the Skins alone for a while; incidentally enough, when I decided to come back, that season, they ended up winning their last Super Bowl in 1992! since then, they haven't gotten past the NFC Divisional round. It's so depressing.

Exhibit B:



How I see the 'Skins many times after they lose and play particularly bad...

It's always the same story: a team that's the 3rd most profitable team in professional sports and yet, they haven't even sniffed the NFC Championship since the 1991 season. Sometimes I wonder if the faith I put in them will ever pay off again...

Exhibit C:



Shame on the Washington Redskins! Making fans have something to look forward to each season only to repay our faith with halfassed efforts each game of each season!

Don't get me wrong, I'll never stray from this team again, as now I know what it really means to be a fan, but it's very depressing to say the very least to see this team with so much potential to start each season only to end up doing absolutely nothing and either losing in the Wild Card round or miss the playoffs entirely. Sometimes, I wonder if the Washington Redskins will have as long a drought as (until the 2004 championship squad) the Boston Red Sox, and the city of Washington D.C. will have a looooong sports championship drought.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home