Thursday, November 20, 2008

Soulja Boy

Ok, I've been fighting myself as to whether I wanted to do a blog on this guy, but now I realize I have a responsibility to you all to do it, for 2 reasons; I'll address my 2 beefs with him in turn below:
  • Personally, I think his "music" thoroughly blows! Females and (mostly gay) Males below to slightly above 18 years of age probably don't think so but who gives a shit; they know nothing about good music anyway, so...
  • Because of a fairly recent article I read (after viewing a piece of YouTube footage).
Firstly, his music is complete trash! Bottom line! Instead of making music with a true message (stop the violence, increase the peace, etc.), he emphasizes his ability to use his wealth to buy material things (damn you, Puff Daddy, circa 1996!). He then says he's in the music industry to provide for his family so they don't have to ever be without again. Soulja Boy claims that he wasn't around when true hip hop songs were big, so he doesn't know much if anything, about them.

After all that time he spent dissing Ice-T with his videos on YouTube, I would think he and those nut lickers of his in the background would spend the time he used to research and then dis Ice-T to do research on the art form he claims to love so much, so as to not suck so badly at it, but that's neither here or there, so whatever.

My real beef with Soulja Boy is over the aforementioned statement he made in a recent interview. In it, he was asked by BET correspondent and former Rolling Stone contributor, Touré, after he asked various other stars which historical figure they most hated. After he failed to respond, Touré tried to get a response out of him, saying "others have said Hitler, bin Laden, the slave masters ... " at which point Soulja Boy said: "Oh wait! Hold up! Shout out to the slave masters! Without them we'd still be in Africa. We wouldn't be here to get this ice and tattoos." It should be noted that "ice" as he calls it, actually came (and to this day continues to come) from Africa...

Exhibit A:



Soulja Boy, in it for the love of the music...

My goal is not to slam the boy for trying to get money. At least he's not out here trying to be a snowman; that's not the issue here. I just think that as a celebrity, you have a responsibility to all your fans to be a positive influence through your music and being on TV. You're supposed to be showing that black men are concerned with more than material possessions, but life as well. Instead, you choose to perpetuate the stereotype that we all want rims, cheddar, and a lot of hoes.

I believe that Planned Parenthood should have Soulja Boy as their poster child to illustrate what happens when people get pregnant and then proceed to give birth while high on weed after that ridiculous statement. I guess I'm just a hater though, because I'm not able to buy ice and get tattoos and stuff...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home